An individual who has been diagnosed with a disability on or before age 26 may qualify by meeting one of the following:
- is eligible to receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- is eligible to receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
- has been diagnosed by a qualifying physician as having a physical or mental disability resulting in marked and severe functional limitations that is expected to last no less than 12 months.
No state residency requirement!
An individual not eligible to receive SSI or SSDI may qualify based upon an impairment found within one of the following lists:
- Social Security Administrations List of Compassionate Allowances
- Social Security Administrations List of Impairments for Adults (Part A)
- Social Security Administrations List of Impairments for Children (Part B)
Any written diagnosis used to qualify for an ABLE TN account must be retained by the Designated Beneficiary or the Designated Beneficiary’s Legal Representative and made available to ABLE TN or the IRS upon request.